A team of University of Arkansas and Food and Drug Administration (FDA) researchers recently determined the protein responsible for the fluid swelling that occurs in the brain during mild traumatic brain injuries, or concussions.
“Our study found that mild traumatic brain
injury resulted in increased expression of a protein called aquaporin-4, which
caused a massive cellular influx of fluid, leading to increased astrocyte cell
volume and injury,” University of Arkansas Assistant Professor of
Biomedical Engineering Kartik Balachandran said. “We then worked with a drug called Acetazolamide. Our results showed that Acetazolamide minimized cell swelling
and injury, suggesting a therapeutic role for this drug in reducing the
detrimental effects of concussions.”
Using a benchtop bioreactor, the
researchers examined astrocyte cells and saw that aquaporin-4 was more
expressed following mild traumatic brain injuries, leading to a cellular influx
of fluid and swelling of the astrocyte cells. This swelling, or edema, is one
of the leading causes of death in patients with concussions. The researchers
also found that pre-treating cells with an existing drug currently in use to
treat epilepsy and altitude sickness can reduce the expression of aquaportin-4.
“This study demonstrates the collaborative
neuro-engineering efforts that are contributing to both diagnostic and
therapeutic methods for addressing traumatic brain injury,” University of
Arkansas Department of Biomedical Engineering Chair Raj Rao said.
Organizations in this story
Want to get notified whenever we write about University of Arkansas ?
Next time we write about University of Arkansas, we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.Sign-up for Alerts
- ASHFORD UNIVERSITY: Ashford University Launches New Bachelor's Degree in Computer Software Technology
- BROWN UNIVERSITY: Amanda Bailey to lead human resources at Brown
- NORTH CENTRAL COLLEGE:James A. McDermet named chair of North Central College’s Board of Trustees
- UNIVERSITY OF MASSACHUSETTS AMHERST: Associated General Contractors of Massachusetts Creates Endowment for Building and Construction Technology Program at UMass
- BRADLEY UNIVERSITY: Seven Bradley Teams Receive Academic Recognition
- GEORGETOWN UNIVERSITY: Georgetown's Beloved Howard Gray, S.J., Remembered at Memorial Mass
- BRIDGEWATER COLLEGE(VA): Bridgewater College approves Masters of Art in Digital Media Strategy
- UNIVERSITY OF EVANSVILLE: UE Announces the Creation of a New Center for Innovation & Change
- UNIVERSITY OF MARY: University of Mary Launches New ‘Marauders Armada’ to Fund Athletic Scholarships
- Analysis: College men's golf grosses $173 million