Lamar Alexander (R-TN), chairman of the U.S. Senate Education Committee, recently released a statement regarding the Department of Education’s final regulation for the implementation of the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) accountability provisions.
“This regulation goes to the heart of the new law fixing No
Child Left Behind, which reversed the trend toward a national school board and
restored to states, communities and classroom teachers responsibility for the
education of our children,” Alexander said. “I would have
moved to overturn the earlier version of this regulation because it was not
authorized by the new law, and included provisions specifically prohibited by
the new law. I will carefully review this final version before deciding what
action is appropriate.”
The Notice of Proposed Rulemaking on accountability, state
plans and report cards under ESSA was released by the Department of Education
on May 31, 2016. It states that schools designated for improvement using the
new accountability system must be done by each state prior to the start of the
2017-18 school year.
To make certain the law was being executed the way it
was written by Congress, the education committee held six hearings on
the implementation of ESSA.
Organizations in this story
Want to get notified whenever we write about U.S. Senate HELP Committee ?
Next time we write about U.S. Senate HELP Committee, we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.Sign-up for Alerts
- 98 percent of applicants to Alabama State University were admitted for fall 2017
- 80 percent of applicants to Arizona State University-West were admitted for fall 2017
- Rio Salado College enrolls 17,635 undergrads
- Argosy University-Phoenix Online Division enrolls 4,534 undergrads
- 98 percent of applicants to Eastern Oregon University were admitted for fall 2017
- 84 percent of applicants to Auburn University were admitted for fall 2017
- 67 percent of applicants to Grand Canyon University were admitted for fall 2017
- 82 percent of applicants to George Fox University were admitted for fall 2017
- 89 percent of applicants to Willamette University were admitted for fall 2017
- Lane Community College enrolls 7,637 undergrads