Researchers at Brown University recently demonstrated a theorized way to disrupt superconductivity with weaker magnetic fields than are normally required through the creation of random gauge fields.
“In technology, we’re trying to eke more and more out of the quantum properties of materials, but those materials all have these messy impurities in them,” Brown Professor of Physics Jim Valles said. “We’ve shown the effects of a certain kind of quantum randomness in a superconductor that is driven by a magnetic field and random defects. So this work may be interesting for understanding what limitations there are in exploiting the quantum properties of materials.”
The researchers proved a predicted manner to disrupt Cooper pairs, which are pairs of electrons that behave like waves in cool temperatures.
Magnetic fields are a way to break the pairs apart, but -- using weaker magnetic waves -- the Brown team was able to disrupt the way the pairs propagate, which ends superconducting states.
“We can tune this phase shifter in a well-defined way that’s straightforward to model, which can allow us to understand quantum phase transitions a little bit better,” Valles said. “So, in a sense, we’ve created a new knob we can twist to affect the properties of these materials and see how they react.”
Organizations in this story
Want to get notified whenever we write about Brown University ?
Next time we write about Brown University, we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.Sign-up for Alerts
- ASHFORD UNIVERSITY: Ashford University Launches New Bachelor's Degree in Computer Software Technology
- BROWN UNIVERSITY: Amanda Bailey to lead human resources at Brown
- NORTH CENTRAL COLLEGE:James A. McDermet named chair of North Central College’s Board of Trustees
- UNIVERSITY OF MASSACHUSETTS AMHERST: Associated General Contractors of Massachusetts Creates Endowment for Building and Construction Technology Program at UMass
- BRADLEY UNIVERSITY: Seven Bradley Teams Receive Academic Recognition
- GEORGETOWN UNIVERSITY: Georgetown's Beloved Howard Gray, S.J., Remembered at Memorial Mass
- BRIDGEWATER COLLEGE(VA): Bridgewater College approves Masters of Art in Digital Media Strategy
- UNIVERSITY OF EVANSVILLE: UE Announces the Creation of a New Center for Innovation & Change
- UNIVERSITY OF MARY: University of Mary Launches New ‘Marauders Armada’ to Fund Athletic Scholarships
- Analysis: College men's golf grosses $173 million