Tulane University Alumna Marsha Broussard recently became the director of the New Orleans Health Department, following an appointment from New Orleans Mayor Mitch Landrieu, and plans to focus on promoting healthy living in the city.
“As health director, one of my responsibilities is to
monitor the health status of our residents,” said Broussard. “Since we define
health quite broadly, I also have the responsibility to coordinate with other
city departments such as housing, transportation, sanitation, public safety and
community development to ensure that these sectors incorporate and embrace
public health into their mission and activities.”
In addition to promoting healthy living through initiatives
like Fit NOLA, she plans to work towards reducing community violence, removing
health barriers that affect students and enrolling uninsured residents for
Broussard previously served as program director at the
Louisiana Public Health Institute, and earned her doctorate from Tulane in
“I felt strongly that attaining my doctorate would improve
my public health practice. My experience was challenging but rewarding,” said
Broussard. “It has made me a better, more effective professional and has
certainly helped to prepare me for the position of health director.”
Organizations in this story
Want to get notified whenever we write about Tulane University ?
Next time we write about Tulane University, we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.Sign-up for Alerts
- BROWN UNIVERSITY: Summit explores ways to best meet mental health needs of Rhode Island college students
- CALIFORNIA INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY: Magnetar Mysteries in our Galaxy and Beyond
- EMPORIA STATE UNIVERSITY: Kansas Teachers Achieve National Board Certification
- ADELPHI UNIVERSITY: Home Away From Home: Two International Students Share Their Stories
- AMERICAN UNIVERSITY: Interfaith Project Meeting to be Held January 1
- SAMFORD UNIVERSITY: Samford’s Beeson Divinity School to Host Conference on Racial Reconciliation with The Institute on Religion and Democracy
- Georgetown University has most student athletes in Washington, D.C.
- AARHUS UNIVERSITY: Aarhus University Hospital named Denmark's best hospital for the eleventh year running
- ADTALEM GLOBAL EDUCATION INC.: Adtalem Global Education Completes Divestitures of DeVry University and Carrington College
- Analysis: Which college golf program grossed the most in the U.S.