The Citadel’s Summerall Guards precision team will welcome the new U.S. president when they march down Pennsylvania Avenue on Friday, shortly after Donald Trump is sworn in.
Sixty-one rising seniors have traveled to Washington from Charleston, South Carolina, trading in their usual sweatshirts, Dickies and black tennis shoes for gray, white and black uniforms to take part in the parade with what is expected to be 8,000 others.
While the crowds and TV viewers will see the change in uniform, they won't see the changes these Citadel cadets have gone through to be there. From November to February, the cadets endure a rigorous training series called “BVA,” or Bond Volunteer Aspirant training, which challenges them physically and mentally before they learn the precision drill, known as the The Citadel Series.
“The Summerall Guards are designed to be ... a showcase of The Citadel’s finest cadet qualities,” said Kevin MacDonald, a guard from Beaufort County. “We take pride in the fact that we embody the core values of The Citadel and what the regulations and the standards look like.”
Organizations in this story
Want to get notified whenever we write about The Citadel ?
Next time we write about The Citadel, we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.Sign-up for Alerts
- 81 percent of applicants to University of Hartford were admitted for fall 2017
- Estrella Mountain Community College enrolls 9,788 undergrads
- Mesa Community College enrolls 20,424 undergrads
- 98 percent of applicants to Alabama State University were admitted for fall 2017
- 80 percent of applicants to Arizona State University-West were admitted for fall 2017
- Rio Salado College enrolls 17,635 undergrads
- Argosy University-Phoenix Online Division enrolls 4,534 undergrads
- 98 percent of applicants to Eastern Oregon University were admitted for fall 2017
- 84 percent of applicants to Auburn University were admitted for fall 2017
- 67 percent of applicants to Grand Canyon University were admitted for fall 2017