Two juniors at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio, were recently chosen as finalists in
a Walt Disney design competition.
Casey Liptak and Erin Socha, along with fellow designer Sarah Mihoer of Carnegie Mellon, will compete against five other teams in Glendale, California, when they show their creations to Disney Imagineering executives in the finals of the
26th Walt Disney Imagineering Imaginations Design Competition.
The trio's project is titled "Niihka: A New Tradition,” as it celebrates the culture of the Myaamiaki people of Miami. They based the design's flooring on the tribe's traditional diamond pattern and an LED glass smart roof on the geometric patterns on a turtle shell.
"We really wanted to focus on something that was unique to Miami, and
one thing that really stood out to us was the Miami Tribe of Oklahoma
and that connection,” Socha said.
The original competitors -- 336 in all -- were tasked with designing spaces at their own schools utilizing design principles in Disney’s theme parks, resorts and immersive experiences.
The six teams of 21 finalists have received a five-day trip to
Glendale, with all expenses paid. The awards ceremony will be presented on Jan. 27.
Organizations in this story
Want to get notified whenever we write about Miami University-Oxford ?
Next time we write about Miami University-Oxford, we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.Sign-up for Alerts
- Cost of college went up for all students at D'Mart Institute
- Cost of college was unchanged for all students at Universidad del Turabo
- Graduates earn 6,110 degrees, certificates from Instituto de Banca y Comercio Inc
- Cost of college went up for all students at Escuela Tecnica de Electricidad
- Graduates earn 870 degrees, certificates from EDIC College
- Analysis: Men's college outdoor track grosses $31.2 million
- Cost of college went down for all students at Emma's Beauty Academy-Juana Diaz
- Graduates earn 54 degrees, certificates from Dewey University-Bayamon
- Graduates earn 171 degrees from Instituto Tecnologico de Puerto Rico-Recinto de San Juan
- Cost of college went up for all students at CEM College-Bayamon