Three teams from Boise State University will compete in regional finals for the Hult Prize in early March, including Team Cultivate, which won the school's Hult competition with its innovate P.O.T.T., or portable one-time toilet.
The $1 million Hult Prize is awarded in a competition that challenges teams of
young people to develop innovative business ideas as social entrepreneurs. The money is used as seed funding for a team's project, which is meant to help people affected by
social injustice, war and economic depression.
The Boise State teams will
travel to Dubai, London and Shanghai for the regional finals, with the top team from each of those locations as well as two others earning a spot in an eight-week
business incubator in Washington, D.C. The overall winner will then be chosen.
Cultivate, made up of Luke Yeates, Brandon Sams, Janice Witherspoon and Steve
Silva, came up with P.O.T.T. to help people in refugee camps safely use a restroom in a way that does not promote the build up of sewage
or pollute water.
Project Recover, another Boise State team, competed through an at-large
bid. Composed of Austin Legg, Alexandria Allen, Cody Huckvale and Becky Davis,
the team proposes a business that provides people with materials to make
cultural goods, then purchases the goods to sell on an online platform,
reinvesting profits in more materials.
Team Dream, consisting of Ashleigh
Anderson, Jessica Bottleberghe, Ethan Lopez and Steven Gabrielsen, also
competed in an at-large capacity and plans to create an online platform where
refugees can share their stories.
Organizations in this story
Want to get notified whenever we write about Boise State University ?
Next time we write about Boise State University, we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.Sign-up for Alerts
- Analysis: 58,361 college athletes play baseball
- UTAH STATE UNIVERSITY: New Provost Named at Utah State University
- UNIVERSITY OF MARY: Energy Transfer/Sunoco Foundation and Energy Transfer Partners Donate $5 Million to the University of Mary
- COLORADO SCHOOL OF MINES: Clarke wins NSF CAREER grant for advanced steel research
- BUTLER UNIVERSITY: Retailing's Loss Was Biology's Gain
- CONCORDIA UNIVERSITY TEXAS: A seemingly perpetual student's view on grad school experience
- UNIVERSITY OF ALABAMA, HUNTSVILLE: Team Chargernaut takes first place in NASA Human Exploration Rover Challenge
- UNIVERSITY OF ALABAMA: Parkway to Close April 27-28 for USA Triathlon
- 114,405 U.S. borrowers in default on student loans from private, nonprofit schools
- UNIVERSITY OF ALABAMA, HUNTSVILLE: Alumnus’ firm in forefront of private Wi-Fi, Internet in space